5 Common Mistakes That Ruin Your Transmission
The transmission of your vehicle should always be running properly in order to drive safely on the road. Without a proper running transmission, your car is not going to run and you will find yourself with many problems. To ensure that your transmission is running as it should, you will want to avoid these five common mistakes:
- Forgetting to Service the Transmission: Forgetting to perform regular services for your transmission is one of the most common mistakes that lead to problems with the transmission. Regular services are often avoided because of cost or forgetfulness, which can end up costing you a ton of money in the end since replacing your transmission is expensive. Regular service on your transmission should be done about every five years.
- Not Checking Transmission Fluid Levels: The fluid in the transmission needs to be at the right level. If it's too low, this is when the transmissions starts to overheat. When this happens, you will find yourself stranded on the side of the road at some point. It's important to check the transmission fluid levels every once in a while to be sure that the fluid levels are normal. They will usually be topped off or changed during your regular service. However, there is a possibility of a leak that needs to be plugged, so it's important to check the levels about as often as you check the oil.
- Using the Wrong Fluid: When you have the transmission fluid changed, you need to be sure that it is with the right fluid. It's important to check your owner's manual to determine which transmission fluid is right for your car.
- Not Recognizing Problem Signs: The signs that there is possibly a problem with your transmission needs to be recognized and addressed immediately before it becomes worse. There is a chance that you can save yourself from having to replace the transmission altogether. These warning signs include red fluid under your vehicle after it's been parked, strange noises when shifting gears, and any slipping when changing gears, as well.
- Don't Address Issues With Overheating: Finally, you need to be sure that you are taking extra measures to care for your transmission if you are putting extra work on it. For example, if you often tow a trailer, you want to do more transmission services and add a transmission cooler. This is also important if you live in a hot climate or have a large vehicle.
When you know these five mistakes that ruin your transmission, you can be sure that you know what to do in order to avoid it. For more information on transmission repair places near you, click here!